by Atty. Jose Michael Operario
The Philippines General Council of the Assemblies of God (PGCAG) celebrates 75 years of God’s faithfulness to the movement. We rejoice for the major advance of the Kingdom of God through church planting and missions, and we envision together a triumphant future.
The celebration coincides with the recent victory of PGCAG against David Sobrepeña and some of his supporters who attempted to seize control of the General Council through a corporate takeover in 2012. With the gallant stand of the righteous Pastors of the PGCAG, the takeover was thwarted and cases were filed in the Regional Trial Court of Valenzuela Branch 75 to determine, once and for all, who the legitimate officers of the PGCAG are.
On July 16, 2014, the Court rendered a DECISION nullifying all actions taken by David Sobrepeña and the Board of Trustees who sided with him. The Court likewise nullified the convention and the results of the election by David Sobrepeña’s group in 2012. In the same DECISION the Court affirmed the legitimacy of the leadership of Rev. Reynaldo Calusay as President and General Superintendent of the PGCAG and recognized those elected in the Iloilo Convention on April 24-27, 2012 as the legitimate officers of the latter. These officers are the following:
General Executives & Officers of the Board of Trustees
- Rev. Reynaldo A. Calusay, General Superintendent/President
- Rev. Joseph Rommel L. Suico, Assistant General Superintendent
- Rev. Alex B. Fuentes, General/Corporate Secretary
- Rev. Rene G. Cagadas, General/Corporate Treasurer
Other elected members of the Board of Trustees are the following District Superintendents:
- Rev. Gerardo O. Cruz, Sr., Southern Tagalog District Council (STDC)
- Rev. Walter T. Caput, South Central Cordillera District Council (SCCDC)
- Rev. Esther D. Cebuala, Northeartern Mindanao District Council (NEMDC)
- Rev. Edgar Y. Germo, Western Visayas District Council (WVDC)
- Rev. Benito P. Lacaden, Jr., Northern Ilocandia District Council (NIDC)
- Rev. Teodoro L. Largo, Central Visayas and Lower Leyte District Council (CVLLDC)
- Rev. Jino A. Lumbo, Northwestern Visayas District Council (NWVDC)
- Rev. Laurence Nanglegan (resigned)
- Rev. Herson A. Niog, Lanao District Council (LDC)
- Rev. Eduardo H. Roperos, Jr., North Central Mindanao District Council (NCMDC)
- Rev. Patricio P. Sanchez, Southern Mindanao District Council (SMDC)
Furthermore, the Court also issued a Writ of Execution on January 6, 2015 for the DECISION it rendered last July 16, 2014 in favor of the group headed by Rev. Reynaldo Calusay. The issuance of the Writ removes all legal impediments on the implementation of the DECISION of the Court. Still defiant, the group led by David Sobrepeña insisted on holding their own 75th anniversary on April 20 to 23, 2015 at the Word of Hope Church.
For the guidance of those that may be misled by their advertisements, the official celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Assemblies of God in the Philippines is the one hosted by the Philippines General Council of the Assemblies of God which will take place at the MOA Complex in Pasay City on April 28 – May 1, 2015, which is also the one that will be attended by the licensed and ordained ministers, missionaries, affiliates and worldwide fellowship of the Assemblies of God.
Despite the hurt and pain created by the conflict, the leadership are hopeful that the erring pastors will eventually see the fallacy of their ways and that they will go back to serving God and renewing their commitment to the PGCAG.
Thus, the 75th Anniversary celebration of the Philippine General Council of the Assemblies of God is more than just an event. In the backdrop of the most serious threat of division that drove a wedge among pastors, friends, and family members, the recent Court victory gave the PGCAG the reason to celebrate the triumph of truth over deception, of justice over oppression, and to rejoice in the protection and favor granted by God in this most trying moment of the movement.
This faith-shaking challenge may have humbled us, but the truth is, nothing should stop us from moving forward to realize God’s higher purpose, UNRESTRAINED!