Our History

The Philippines General Council of the Assemblies of God, Inc. (PGCAG), is a religious corporation duly organized and existing under and by virtue of the laws of the Republic of Philippines. It was previously registered under Act of the Philippine Commission No. 1459, as amended, in the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 19, 1940 under Record No. 8831.

The PGCAG was re-registered on September 23, 1953 with the Securities and Exchange Commission under Registration No. 8169.

To accomplish the mandate upon the PGCAG as a tool of God in the evangelization of the Philippines, and participating in the total evangelization of the whole world, its leadership created a program with the theme “Priorities of the 80s”. This program involved the whole constituency in its church growth program. In January 1981, the PGCAG executive officials, district superintendents, PGCAG department heads, presidents of Bible schools, and several missionary leaders met for two days. Out of this conference came the key objectives. The leadership committed themselves to plant churches and it aimed to have 1000 established Assemblies of God churches in the Philippines by April 1986. Since then, a yearly leadership conference is regularly held.

On January 24-28, 1983, a Strategy Planning Conference was held in Angono, Rizal attended by the PGCAG leadership. This conference spurt the momentum of the church growth program. The leadership launched the “Balikatan Project” – the whole constituency cooperating to establish strong, supportive, mission-oriented and Spirit-filled churches. Each District of the PGCAG targets a city or town where united prayers, efforts, and ministry is to be concentrated until a church is established. This program was blessed by God wherein key population centers were reached, and new churches were started.

During the January 1987 Leadership Conference held at the Bethel Bible College campus, in Malinta, Valenzuela, Metro Manila, the PGCAG executive officials, District Superintendents, PGCAG Department heads, Presidents of Bible schools, and several missionary leaders in attendance, a new thrust of church growth program was approved. Dubbed as “CHALLENGE 2000 IN FIVE YEARS”, from 1987 TO 1992, which aims to mobilize the whole PGCAG constituency to double the number of churches in five years. A yearly goal of 200 established new churches was set in motion. Each District leader committed their efforts, prayers, manpower, and financial resources to attain this goal.

In the January 1988 Leadership Conference of the PGCAG in Baguio City, an action was taken to strengthen the church growth program of doubling the number of churches in five years.

The PGCAG, as a part of the World Assemblies of God Fellowship, is fully committed and deeply involved in the “DECADE OF HARVEST”, a worldwide thrust of the World Assemblies of God Fellowship “to strategize with the Holy Spirit for the evangelization of the 1.3 billion of unreached people of the world,” in the last remaining of this century. It recognizes this program of church growth from 1990 on to AD 2010 of the whole PGCAG. Page 2

In 1999, the PGCAG had 2,257 established churches, 2,500 ministers (ordained ministers, license to preach, specialized ministries license, license to exhort), 35 Bible colleges and training schools – particularly the Bethel Bible College, located at Valenzuela City, Metro Manila, established in 1941; Immanuel Bible College, located at Banawa, Cebu City, Cebu, established in 1951; Mindanao Regional Bible College, located at Dadiangas Heights, General Santos City, South Cotabato, established in 1963; Luzon Bible College, located in Binalonan, Pangasinan, established in 1953; and in partnership with the US Assemblies of God, the Asia Pacific Theological Seminary, located at 444 Ambuklao Road, Baguio City, established in 1964. There are more than 50 foreign missionaries in different nationalities, and more than 10 Filipino missionaries abroad.

In the April 2001 General Council Convention, the “NEW DECADE OF HARVEST – 5000/2010”, that the PGCAG, empowered by the Holy Spirit will plant 5,000 more churches by the year 2010. The PGCAG churches are now more than 3,000 churches. Since it was formally organized in 1940, it is now composed of 21 District Councils throughout the Philippines – eight (8) districts in Luzon, five (5) districts in the Visayas, and eight (8) districts in Mindanao, with more than 3,000 churches, more than 1,400 ordained ministers, and more than 2,600 license to preach, specialized ministries license, license to exhort and Christian workers.